1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

CHOP2 System: Stocking the Sump with a species?

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by adam francis, Feb 26, 2016.

1. adam francis

adam francis New Member

Canada
    State:
    Ontario
    City:
    Owen Sound
    I was just curious if anyone has tried having fish or some kind of crustacean, crawfish, lobster, crab living in the sump as well? Is this even possible or will the feces pose a threat? I was going to have maybe 2 Pleco just to keep the walls cleaned but then thought that maybe something else can be farmed there. Thank you.

2. andyholloway

andyholloway Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Nunderi
    This is not a problem at all and is commonly done with yabbies. Just make sure you have enough air and as you say keep an eye on solids build up.
    In a lightly stocked home system, just keep your fish:gravel ratio in check and you can put fish wherever you want.

gpk likes this.
  3. donkfish

donkfish New Member

how about snails and dwarf shrimps? these are kinda hardy and clean up algae really well

4. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    I was considering Fresh Water Mussels. More for novelty really. They're no good to eat and how beneficial they'll be as toxin filters is debatable.
    I've always kept a few fish in the sump like Goldfish until they got to big and I gave them away.
    1 Tandanus catfish in there who does real well. Grew faster than all the others and seems to be the dominant fish and a bit of a bully with the goldies.
    Mainly put them in there to see the adaptability of fish. The tank has two humming pumps, very turbulent and splashing constantly and very tidal. Varies between 5 inches deep to 55 inches deep.
    I took the catfish out and put him in the fish tank with everything else but he stresses out and scratched himself a lot from freaking out with all the other fish and unfamiliar enclosure so I had to put him back in the sump were he is much happier.