1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Can you add vertical grow beds in a Chop system?

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by xraymiller, Dec 29, 2017.

1. xraymiller

xraymiller New Member

USA
    State:
    FL
    City:
    Gainesville
    As I understand it, the water flows from the fish tank to the grow beds by gravity, and the pump is in the sump pumping clean water back to the fish tank.

If I wanted to add vertical grow beds, how do I do it? It seems like I would have to put a pump in the fish tank, but wouldn't that have an effect on the water level in the fish tank and/or have and effect on the grow bed.

Has anyone done this?

2. xraymiller

xraymiller New Member

USA
    State:
    FL
    City:
    Gainesville
    I just noticed where I made a mistake, but now I have a new question. To be clear I am referencing the CHOP Mk2 system.

So my mistake was thinking the water was coming from the fish tank to the grow bed by gravity, when in fact it was going back to the sump. Then from the sump, the pump feeds the grow beds AND the fish tank. I thought there was supposed to be a distinct cycle of water with fish poo coming from the fish tank to the grow beds, then the water draining from the grow beds would be clean(er) and go back to the fish tank. I feel like the water in sump tank is going to be constantly filtered through the grow beds, losing the nutrients with every cycle. Can someone explain what I'm missing?

3. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    I'm not exactly sure what your missing. The particles (fish poo) in the water will get trapped in any filter. The grow beds being effective filters will catch the particles. No matter what the sequence or direction of water its all circulated and the cycling chemistry is distributed through the whole system.
    I pump up to a horizontal 40mm pipe that then feeds down by gravity to the grow beds. I've just incorporated my first experiment system into the main system. I'm installing vertical strawberry towers. The water trickles down the towers into the grow beds. Kinda killing two birds with one stone. They then drain into the sump. hope that may help with ideas maybe.
    Strawberry Towers1.JPG Strawberry Towers2.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  4. xraymiller

xraymiller New Member

USA
    State:
    FL
    City:
    Gainesville
    Like you said, the grow beds are effectively removing the particles and the water that empties to the sump is 'cleaner', but then the pump is sending that cleaner water back to the grow beds. It doesn't seem like you're introducing as much particles into the system like you would if the pump was in the fish tank.

5. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Yes but the particles aren't the food for the plants anyway however it does create the Nitrification chemistry in the water. Many people including myself have settlement filters to remove a lot of the solids from the system rather than it all building up too much in the grow beds. Swirl filter, Radial Flow Filter etc. That follows the fish tank. That fish poo it collects then goes on the dirt garden. I mix it in with compost tea that I brew up but thats all for dirt gardening. My aquaponics runs with plenty of Nitrate up to 80 ppm so plenty of nutrients to spare but even when it ran at zero Nitrates the plants still grow gangbusters.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. Henry Johan

Henry Johan New Member

Indonesia
    State:
    Jakarta
    City:
    Kelapa Gading
    that is a good idea
    will try once I get my system up