1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

can i grow red claw crayfish in my sump

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Ray Boorn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Ray Boorn

Ray Boorn New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Drake 2469
    This is my first communication, I was wondering if I can grow Red Claw crayfish in my sump.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!...

3. Ray Boorn

Ray Boorn New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Drake 2469
    Thanks for that Yabs for me, I am starting to build my chop 2 system, and have always wanted to grow red claw, as well as fish in my system.
    As per your name it looks as though you might have some experience with growing them, so any advice you can offer to a neophyte like me would be very welcome.
    Cheers.

4. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    Yabbies4me is your guy. I successfully have hundreds of Crays in my sumps. Just remember they are prolific breeders. Every 2 months i pick a different sump (I have 6) and clean it out and sort the crays out.

5. Ray Boorn

Ray Boorn New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Drake 2469

6. Ray Boorn

Ray Boorn New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Drake 2469
    Hi Bryce,
    Thanks for your reply, I understand that they are great escape artists, so I guess there are ways to keep them where they should be.
    Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

Ray.

7. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    i have all my pipes airlines etc that go in and out of the sumps mounted through the sides, not over teh top, as they will climb up. \i have nothing that extends up above the top of teh sumps. \i also have breadcrates in my sumps to provide protection and multi storey accommodation units for my crays. \i have pieces of pvc pipe in my sumps on all teh levels for them

8. Ray Boorn

Ray Boorn New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Drake 2469
    Hi Bryce, Great advice , thanks for that.

I have been looking at Blue Marron too, and every one says that they are the best to eat, do you know if any one has had any success with growing them on the east coast ?, I am in northern NSW.
    I love your rescue vehicle.

9. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    I have had no dealing with Australian Maroon, however i am aware of teh following limitations.

Temp of Over 12 Degrees is required.

Very susceptible to chlorine, so make sure al waters well aerated before adding to the system when topping up

High Oxygen Demand

Here where i am in Southern QLD i dont think i would have any trouble keeping them.