1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium Bentonite Clay

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by Bsparky, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Bsparky

Bsparky New Member

USA
    State:
    OHIO
    City:
    NE
    Reading on Koi Clay which is calcium bentonite clay. They claim that it’s beneficial to the fish and the plants. Has anyone used this?
    Bob

2. argus

argus Member

australia
    State:
    qld
    City:
    enogerra
    its clumping kitty litter not the stuff that turns to mud, my inlaws were into biosynesthises filters with the koi clay in their ap system untill they moved onto zeolite filtration in the ras system, i use zeolite in my ras and previouly in my old marine systems which is more effective in removing ammonia

3. Bsparky

Bsparky New Member

USA
    State:
    OHIO
    City:
    NE
    Thanks argus
    The problem with zeolite filtration that it uses a silica-alumina product. I’m trying to distance myself from anything containing aluminum, aluminiumoxides intake for health reasons. I saw some healthy Koi and inquest about their practices. This what lead to CB reaching.
    I also found a good deal on 40lb buckets for use in gardening. I could build something to deal with the mud cake offsets, a tray or something to hold the contents.
    The link below states the benefits of using CB. I was thinking that this could be a beneficial product to a aquaponies system.

Here’s a link on koi clay info
    http://www.bonniesplants.com/KoiClayBenefits.htm
    Bob

4. Chris Edward

Chris Edward New Member

U.S.A
    State:
    California
    City:
    Apple Valley
    @Bsparky, I hear ya about the Al. It is used in so many fish related products, like expanded clay bio media. This is fine I suppose if it's just an aquarium but not when the fish in that aquarium are feeding the plants I eat.
    Keep us posted on your progress with the calcium bentonite, this stuff sounds interesting.