1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. freetime97

freetime97 New Member

Hi all,

just wondering on a couple of issues on buffering the ph below is a list of additives ive researched on the net can anyone tell me where you can get these within Australia, Calcium bicarbonate (baking soda) is no worries as I can that at woollies also the Calcium hydroxide = builders lime purchased at bunnings. But the others I have not worked out where to get them.

Also can you mix say 50% of one with another to aid the plants?

I also read the people use seasol regularly or even worm tea to aid the plants.
    Can you purchase cleated iron from bunnings?

Calcium carbonate horses, food

Potassium carbonate potash and pearl ash (seen richgro "sulphate of potash" and richgro "garden lime") http://www.richgro.com.au/products/fertilisers/ in bunnings are these any good.

Potassium bicarbonate Home brew shops

Potassium hydroxide Caustic Potash

Also thanks to all those who helped with my disease issue a few months ago was at the point of giving up but all is get the silver are going really well just need to boost my knowledge on the plant side.
    Dave

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    A Hydroxide will raise pH, but not buffer it. Most carbonate products will raise and buffer pH.

Generally the only products used for raising/buffering pH in a backyard AP system are:

Calcium Hydroxide - You have that covered

Potassium bicarbonate - Available from garden centres as Eco-Fungicide, however, it contains about 6% surfactants (detergents) as it's original intended use is as a foliar spray. I prefer to use Pure Potassium bicarbonate, no surfactants, and it's cheaper than Eco-fungicide.

Only add Pot' bicarb when the pH is 7.0 or lower, 1x level teaspoon per 1000L will raise the pH around 0.3 with the Eco-fungicide, and around 0.5 for the Pure Pot' bicarb.

There was some discussion a while back about the use of Pot' bicarbonate v's Pot' carbonate, and it was determined that the Pot' bicarb was the better option and the Pot' carbonate wasn't a desirable option, I can't remember why, I just remember that was the consensus.

Calcium Carbonate - The simplest way to add it to your system is to put a few lumps of clean Limestone in your FT/ST. Any acid produced by the Nitrification process reacts with the limestone to release carbonates, neutralising the acid and raising the water pH, it gets to an equilibrium where they counteract each other and the pH stabilises, usually around the mid 7's. So you can easily control pH by removing the limestone when the pH hits 7.0, the pH will naturally drop, then when it reaches 6.5 reintroduce the limestone. Supposedly the same can be achieved with shell grit, but a currently experiment I'm conducting with shell grit shows it's nowhere near as effective as limestone, and large quantities are required.

Potassium Hydroxide - Available in flake form, but reasonably dangerous in this form. Can be bought from hydroponic stores in liquid form.

You should alternate between Potassium and Calcium based products so as not to create an imbalance between the two.

Cheers!

Sayhello2pedro and MartinC like this.
  3. andyholloway

andyholloway Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Nunderi
    Edit - You beat me to it Yabbies!

I use a combination of builders lime and potassium bicarbonate. You can mix them if you want, I just use lime most of the time and when I think of it (ideally 1 in 4 times) I use potassium bicarbonate.

Potassium bicarbonate can definitely be purchased at all (good) home brew shops. It can also be purchased for an inflated price from Bunnings (and other hardware stores) as Eco Fungicide in a small round tub.

Builders lime, as you say, can be got from Bunnings (and other hardware stores).

I will second that Potassium Hydroxide is dangerous as it is a very strong base and should be used with the same caution as any acid (HCl).

Sayhello2pedro likes this.
  4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    By about 30 seconds! :D

5. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    P.S... Yes, Chelated Iron can be bought at the big 'B' stores, or you local garden centre. Usually Manutec and Yates brands, either is fine.

6. freetime97

freetime97 New Member

Hi
    thanks for a super fast response this forum is such a help, in regards to the chelated iron (just seen a post of someone who overdosed there system) what sort of dosage do you recommend and what sort of dosage for the seasol. I imagine you alternate to give the system variety?
    Dave

7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Only dose with Iron when required, usually when system pH is above 7.5... Symptoms of Iron deficiency are very pale green or yellow new growth tips, and/or yellowing between the veins or across the entire leaf on newer leaves.

Dosage for Chelated Iron is 1x level teaspoon per 1000L

Seasol dosage is 250ml initially at start of cycling, then 2-3 capfuls (30-45ml) per 1000L per week. Once the system is cycled, fish added and plants growing well, back the dosage off to 2-3 capfuls per 1000L per fortnight.

MartinC likes this.
  8. freetime97

freetime97 New Member

Hi yabbie,
    been looking for this info thanks a lot, will keep you all informed
    dave

9. jgbibc

jgbibc New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    sydney
    Great info here. Yabbies4me, where do you get your lime stone from if you dont mind me asking?

10. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi jgbibc,

I got my limestone from a structural/landscape limestone supply company. If you have one in your area they will probably have a few broken blocks lying around you can buy cheap or maybe even score for free.

MartinC likes this.
  11. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Sayhello2pedro likes this.
  12. kestertonm

kestertonm New Member

Just bought some. When adding to cart said free postage then wacked me $20 on checkout. There are far cheaper places to buy potassium bicarbonate postage wise......