1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Blackstrap Molasses (sulfered or un-sulfered) for pest control?

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by Robert Briggs, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Robert Briggs

Robert Briggs New Member

Hi Murray!
    In your second DVD you mentioned using molasses in a sprayer for pest control. I was wondering, sense there are so many types of molasses around, if you were just using blackstrap (unsulfured) for insects. Or if you used some sort of sulfured variety?

Robert in Springfield, Missouri USA

2. trout

trout New Member

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum.
    I was hoping someone else was going to answer this because I didn't
    even know about the sulphurated/unsulphurated types of molasses.

I'm assuming it's unsulphurated from the research I've done on the net.
    From what I can see sulphurated molasses is made from green cane stalks that has been sprayed with sulphur dioxide and unsulphurated is from more mature cane and dark in colour.
    The one I'm using is unsulphurated as it's pitch black.(black strap)

If I had a choice I would use the unsulphurated as I think it would be
    sweeter which is why I think we want to use it and it hasn't been sprayed with sulphur dioxide.

Having said all this, the crap I've just read on the net makes you wonder
    what you can believe.

This I particularly like:

makes you wonder

cheers Lou

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    The molasses I have is just plain old blackstrap. Who knows why it works, but it definitely has an effect.
    Right now it is bug summer here in Queensland, so spraying with various concoctions every other day is an imperative.

It works for me, the bugs still get some, but we get plenty of veggies.

Yeah Lou, reading that list of diseases that can be cured maybe we should all be drinking the stuff !!!:rolleyes:

4. Aquaponeer

Aquaponeer Member

It is believed that the Molasses artificially increases the BRIX number content of the leaves and therefore prevents bugs from attacking "healthy" plants.

i know this is preaching to the choir! :)

5. kitoroneo

kitoroneo New Member

I'm still quite new to ap, just wonder will this blackstrap molasses attract ants?

6. Walks-In-Storms

Walks-In-Storms New Member

Wow - another possibility! How does one use the molasses?

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I use unsulphered molasses regularly, although less frequently these days.
    It has some drawbacks. One is the possibility of attracting ants and the other is leaving a residue on my leafy greens which means I will need to wash the lettuce before sale, and this could be a step I may not wish to have the expense of in labour cost.
    If you are going to market your product as "unprocessed" then you really do not want to have to add a "process" to the product.

For home use that is not an issue.

8. painta76

painta76 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Laidley
    Molasses has the effect on our health and the plants health and BRIX number for one reason and one reason only. Because the roots of the sugar cane go down deep the roots tap into the high mineral content of the soil that shallow rooted plants don't get therefore it it is densely packed with vitamins and minerals and in the condensed form of Thrice boiled black strap molasses it is super dense.
    A high mineral content in plants can deter pests as they find it difficult to chew through the now strengthened plant cells, and in humans a lot of the diseases that we suffer from is due to in a large part to mineral deficiency so yeah Murray we should be drinking it or at least drizzling over our Weet-Bix in the morning (my mother sent me info on black strap molasses and bicarb to fight cancer , don't know if it'll work but i'm willing to give it a try).
    because of it's high mineral content could it be dissolved in water to be drawn up by plant roots as a way of not attracting ants? and would it have any effect on fish? ( i suppose if it's added to the water before it gets to the grow beds it would be filtered out by the plants before it reached the fish tank)

Greggrif likes this.
  9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Molasses will not harm the fish if added in moderation to the system. Best used in the mineralisation tank. Makes the beneficial bacteria go wild with excitement. Look up CSR website to see chemical analysis of molasses. It has pretty much everything as far as trace elements are concerned.

10. painta76

painta76 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Laidley
    Great to hear i know what i'm using as a mineral support