1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Bathtub Wicking Beds?

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by ManganJ, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ManganJ

ManganJ New Member

Hi Guys!! Loving all the ideas keep em coming.

I have a few bathtubs lying around was hoping to make some wicking beds.
    The price of HDPE or EPDM Pond Liner has been killing me, so I've been drawn to this product.a heavy-duty synthetic rubber compound, a tough elastomeric material that will alledgedly remain watertight under permanently wet conditions.

http://www.crommelin.com.au/assets/Uploads/Waterproofing-Pond-Sealer-Colours5.pdf

Was thinking I could rub back the polycarbonate acryillic coating on the inside of the bathtubs, apply this this product to the inside of the tub, I just did a test patch we will see how it goes. The rubber compound claims to be safe for plants, fish, pottable water etc.

Does anyone see a problem with this route??

I will partially burry the Btubs, add rubber compound, lay ag pipe/ standpipes - scoria, geomembrame mat or other suitable mat, then add soil.

Hoping to use the wicking beds as a add on to an IBC Chop system, ie. the wicking beds could get some of the lovely AP water for a boost, and if the AP were to go up in smoke due to power failures, extreme weather etc. at least I will still have some wicking beds going.

Any one got any advice, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
  3. onehellofafisherman

onehellofafisherman Member

Great looking liner product

Murray the liner sounds and looks good,:p I was wondering how penetrations should be installed.
    Do you have any info on how to fit penetrations through the liner. Tank fittings Etc, does the manufacturer offer recomendations for sealing around penetrations.

Cheers Steve

4. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Use Sikaflex or a food grade silicone sealant. Seals very well.
    We have used a lot of it already and are very pleased with the product.

5. onehellofafisherman

onehellofafisherman Member

thanks murray

Thanks for the info. will have a think and measure up....

6. ManganJ

ManganJ New Member

Nice LDPE liner, I'll have to get some shipped. Will the product I have work just as well as the silicone sealents you refer to Murray?

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Almost any sealant is ok. Very easy to work with.

8. ManganJ

ManganJ New Member

Just a question, how long can I expect a sealent to last in comparison to say the ldpe liner above?

Cheers

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    When you speak of sealant I was assuming you are meaning a sealant such as silicone used on joints etc. It would appear you are meaning a coating of some sort, like a liquid applied paint or similar.
    If you are thinking of a paint coat of some sort, it gets down to personal preference. For me the LDPE liner is much easier.
    If I was going to go for some liquid applied coating I would just fibreglass the tank. But that is easy for me to say because I work with fibreglass all the time.

It is a matter of personal preference.

You asked by PM about LDPE and HDPE. LDPE is softer and easier to work with and has a reinforcing scrim mesh through it. HDPE is a bit easier to weld if needed to make up wider widths.......once again, it is personal preference.

If you need me to communicate with you then by PM give me your real name so I can identify past transactions etc.....sorry, so many members and I cannot always connect shortened names or nicknames with the real name.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd Member

I have turned our old bath into a wicking bed I didn't line it with anything and its going great.
    Did I miss something?

11. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    No, you didn't miss anything. I suspect there are hundreds of bathtub wicking beds around the place....a good option making use of recycled materials.

12. dakine2448

dakine2448 Member