1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Balcony Kit - F/ling Tank & 2 Growbeds - ColinW Melbourne

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by ColinW, Jun 12, 2009.

1. FishPark

FishPark New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Mill Park
    Hi Colin,
    Great reading.
    Just a quick question, are you still running the heater? (in were trying 2009)
    Did you find it helped the growth of your SP?
    I'm currently cycling a new system and wondered if it was worth the running costs? I'm in Mill Park.
    Stuart

2. ColinW

ColinW Member

Hi Murray - my wife has a "natural knack" for peeling the Water Chestnuts - fresh is superior to canned or frozen!!!

Hi Stuart - IMO not worth running heater. From Nov to April you will find Silver Perch will grow rapidly - but when water cools down - growth will slow. Keep things as natural as possible.

Regards - ColinW

3. ColinW

ColinW Member

My wife asked me to catch 2 more fish for her workmates - not as easy as you might think. They sure look healthy enough!!!
    2 more Silver Perch to cook.jpg

4. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Their a good size, how long have you had em?

5. ColinW

ColinW Member

Hi Drdamage - these Silvers are from the original batch of 50 fish - 4.5 years old.

6. ColinW

ColinW Member

Another 2 Silvers to cook.jpg

Two more Silvers harvested today!!! To go to work colleagues - will end up in Vietnamese cuisine. Better order some some more fingerlings soon.

7. ColinW

ColinW Member

Picked up some more Silver Perch today.

Bought 50 Silver Perch fingerlings this morning....jpg ... they\'re so small!!!.jpg ...48, 49, 50!!!.jpg adding air to the bag....jpg Bagged and almost ready to travel.jpg John from Glenwaters Native Fish netting fingerlings.jpg

8. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    looks like you went to glenwaters top quality fish and feed, did you buy any catfish
    they are good fun, have 2 batches of silvers 1 and 2 years old, have not lost one

9. ColinW

ColinW Member

Hi silloth52 - just bought Silvers from Glenwaters this time - I already have 4 Catfish already at edible size. Probably won't eat the Catfish though - too attached to them!!!
    How about showing some pics of how you are going with your AP System??? Regards - Colin

10. ColinW

ColinW Member

New arrivals settling in well...

Silver Perch fingerlings feeding 21_12_2013.jpg

11. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Lookin good, thanks for the updates, it's a good read.

12. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    hi colin
    a few photos of my system this morning
    wicker beds in the front
    the brook trout i harvested and smoked 3 weeks ago
    are those mussels in the tank???

brook trout.jpg IMG_20131222_164153.jpg IMG_20131222_164207.jpg IMG_20131222_164227.jpg IMG_20131222_164246.jpg IMG_20131222_164316.jpg

13. ColinW

ColinW Member

Your AP is looking really good!
    Yeah Freshwater Mussels... 10 in about 8 months ago.

14. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Hi Colin, Do you think the mussels have helped with keeping the water clean?

15. ColinW

ColinW Member

Hi Dennis - I think you would need a lot more than 10 to notice if they're helping to keep the water clean. How's your system going???

16. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Pretty good now we have cleaned out all the growbeds Colin. Getting some wonderful lettuce and beetroot leaves at the moment. I'm leaving the fish until the end of summer to see how big I can get them!

17. ColinW

ColinW Member

Checked water conditions tonight - pH +6.4; Ammo = 0; Nitrite = 0; Nitrate = 5-10.
    Water pH seems to have stabilised at 6.4. All well!!!

18. ColinW

ColinW Member

Cleaned and replanted Growbed.jpg
    Yesterday cleaned the LHS Growbed - and replanted with seedlings - Lettuce, Bok choy, Chilli, Snow Peas, Turnips and Chinese Water Spinach. Lost approx half of the 50 Silver Perch Fingerlings that went in Mid December. No obvious reason for losses.

19. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Looking good as usual Colin. It is always a hard one to know just why some fish just up and die like that. With Silvers, I have found they are very sensitive to DO levels, much more so than Jades for example.

20. ColinW

ColinW Member

Time for another Silver Perch dinner tonight...

Attached Files: