1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Balcony Kit - F/ling Tank & 2 Growbeds - ColinW Melbourne

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by ColinW, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ColinW

ColinW Member

Here are some more pics...

Attached Files:

2. ColinW

ColinW Member

3. fanatic291

fanatic291 New Member

I just finished reading the entire thread. It was cool to see the progression over three years. Thanks for all the info.

4. rccooper

rccooper New Member

Nice setup, I like the floating fingerling basket. I have started a small system 250 liter FT I put 23 gold fish in today will make a post of my system soon.

5. Trewarin

Trewarin Member

celery is better if you use something to bleach the stem prior to harvest... toilet rolls etc.

also, to retain more young yabbies (as they eat each other) you need to provide something small enough for them to eat... think plankton... a quick google will tell you exactly what.

Also, try and make a "mop" out of wool to dunk into the tank... kind of like a plant for them to hide in, and can help you move the babies to a separate tank.

6. ColinW

ColinW Member

Re: 30_12_2012

More pics...

Attached Files:

7. ColinW

ColinW Member

Another Fish dinner tonight!!! Damn!!! No Ginger!!! Oh well - steamed with Spring Onion will be Ok.

Attached Files:

8. ColinW

ColinW Member

Today my wife requested a "fish for dinner tonight".

I'll let the pics tell the story...

Attached Files:

9. ColinW

ColinW Member

More pics to finish the story...

Attached Files:

10. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Really nice dinner Colin. How old is that Silver.

11. ColinW

ColinW Member

Hi Murray - this fish was from the original Silvers that went in almost 4 years ago!!! Silvers really only grow between late October and March with warmer water temps. Can you believe this system has been running for 4 years? Still the original water pump - onto the 3rd air pump. Siphons working faultlessly. Regards - Colin

12. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Good one Colin. Silvers are so good. I must get some more before winter sets in.
    I am glad the system is going so well...not surprising, you have managed it really well and consistently.
    More PIx please.

13. joeyd

joeyd Member

Hi Colin

Your meal of silver perch sure looks great. I too have silver perch in Melbourne and the rate they are growing it will be 4 years before I start eating mine. With water at 15 degrees mine have already slowed down eating pellets, however they are still chomping through lettuce.

Cheers

Joey

14. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Hi Joey, I'm sure Colin will back me up on this. I have Silvers in Geelong. It was only 2 years before they got to plate size (400g) for me. One thing I do is through the summer, when water temps are 20-30, is feed them 3 times a day. It is surprising how quick they grow during the warmer months.

15. ColinW

ColinW Member

Hi Joey and Dennis - we were eating the fish from about 18 months. Some of our Silvers grew really quickly... and others grew really slowly... there has been such a disparity in growth rates of the Silvers!!! The Catfish have grown fairly slowly in comparison... but we do have one that is plate size. With the temperature dropping - our fish have slown down on the pellets... BUT they still love their lettuce.
    How are your Water Chestnuts going Dennis? I am expecting a bumper harvest come July.
    Regards - Colin

16. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Hi Colin, We have one plant still going. For some unknown reason, the other plants in the same bed died! Not sure what happened. I am looking forward to a harvest. The next thing for us is to clean out our beds. We haven't done it since we started and I know there is quite a build up of material in the beds. This is very evident in the top bed where we had 2 tomato plants.

17. Trevwbird

Trevwbird Member

Hi Colin,
    your thread is amazing, love your dinner pics.
    the only trouble is it to far for me to rock up for a taste.

18. ColinW

ColinW Member

Well we harvested our Chinese Water Chestnuts early July...

... a little disappointed with the size of most of them... BUT they taste great in stir fries!!!

Attached Files:

19. ColinW

ColinW Member

Haven't checked in for a while... But all is going well. Snow peas coming out my ears at the moment!!! Had to change my original pump after 4.5 years of operation... not because it failed - insulation became really brittle and looked like wiring was about to be exposed! Thanks Murray for a fantastic Kit System!!!

20. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Good one Colin. Glad it is going well. Snow peas, I have not had much luck with them.
    The water chestnuts, is there an easy way to peel them? I loose a lot on mine. You got a good amount anyway.

wedkm001 likes this.