1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Avocado Trees

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Held, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Held

Held New Member

USA
    State:
    Arizona
    City:
    Peoria
    Hi Everybody

I've been growing 2 Avocado trees in 2 different systems. So far i have really good success in both, gravel and hydroton clay. The one in the gravel is about 7 months old, the other one is 4 months.
    the Ph in both systems is 6.8

DSCN1310 (2).JPG DSCN1312 (2).JPG DSCN1313 (2).JPG

2. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Cool. I guess you have to plan long term grow bed for this kinda thing?
    I'm not too knowledgeable but doesn't it take a few years or more before you will get fruit?
    It just makes me think of the dream AP plan for the future etc.
    I think Murray still has his Paw Paw tree. I don't know how old it is now.

3. Held

Held New Member

USA
    State:
    Arizona
    City:
    Peoria
    we will see how long it will take, till i get some fruit. The tree can grow up too 20 meters. i mite just have to keep it short in a green house or just grow it outside of the green house. I`m gonna make the stand for the grow beds out of 2"by 4" inch steel beams and powder coat them. I think trees get really heavy, the older they get. With steel, it shouldn't collapse and last longer then wood support. Just cost a lot more.

4. sax

sax New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Whyalla Norris
    Hi Mate.. not sure if you know this, but you will need to graft onto your avocado tree once it reaches 3ft or you may not get fruit, or if you have planted a avocado from a shop and used the seed the fruit will take years to fruit and this fruit may not even be edible. research grafting avocado trees for more info

5. chitn18

chitn18 New Member

United States
    State:
    TN
    City:
    Nashville
    Hello,
    I have a two questions hopefully some one can help me with. In regards to growing the avocado tree I read some where that once it reaches 6-7", you're suppose to cut it back down to 3" for rejuvenation. Is this true? Currently mine is about 4-5" tall. Secondly, what is a good soil to use for the transplant?

6. MickyD

MickyD New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    SE QLD
    Hi Sax, not sure if you know this but REAL trees grow via seeds. It is only recently that humans have started grafting trees to different root stock the help support some success of different hybrids.
    There is no need to graft trees. Over the years I have thrown many avocado seeds into my worm farm where that have started to shoot. They have the been potted and subsequently planted in various locations. NONE have been inedible. The longest to fruit from a seedling was 7 years but this was kept in a pot for the first 5 years before being planted out.

So held do you have any feedback as to how your awesome avacados are doing?

Mick

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk