1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Bass information

Discussion in 'What Fish is that ?' started by simonavc, Sep 30, 2010.

1. simonavc

simonavc New Member

Hey All, Hopeing to start a decent threat for reference.

Please post any secret tidbits, advice, growth rates, min max temps
    best feed, largest size, compatability etc.
    Any info you can provide could help us newbies along with few losses.

Also please post pics of your fish at varous stages.

2. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

I'll second that. I'm new to AP and am interested in stocking my new setup with Bass. I have two now in a home tank. One has grown quickly the other hasn't grown to much at all. He is now a target. Over about 8 months the larger has reached about 7 inches. Temp is regulated at 18.
    More info would be good.

3. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

How big were the Bass when you got them.... 6-7 inches growth in 8 months is impressive for Bass... they usually notoriously slow growers..

4. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

They were both fingerling from the pet shop. I bought one as my G perch hadn't servived. Then my wife thought it looked lonely so I went back and bought the other one. The first has been eating pellets from go. The other is fussy and would only eat blood worms and now mealys and crickets but doesn't grow. It's now looking a little worse for ware as it gets smashed by the bigger one.
    I have to say this was all an experiment pre AP to see how they feed n stuff. Be good if they all go like the first. Awesome fish.
    As i'm just setting up my first system I'm still undecided on what fish to get as winter here is frosted mornings. I am wondering if I have time to get jades going enough before winter. Any advice?

5. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

You wouldn't have any problems getting Jades "going before winter".... but you certainly wouldn't be able to get them through to plate size before then...

Especially as there are no stocks of advanced "over-wintered" fingerlings available... and new season stock wont be available until mid December at best...

{P.S ... I believe Earthan Group may still have some advanced stock... I think he posted elsewhere}

So unless you're prepared to heat your tanks through winter... then Jades might not be an option...

6. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

Thanks Rup. Like all things keeping it simple is the go. Spoke to a guy a Aquablue to see what was available. Very helpful. Worked out transport n food n stuff. Will get 20 silver to start the Jan Feb maybe ad some cattys.
    One question though, fish become acclimatised in their first season? Is that "over-wintered?