1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Are Vermiponics Viable fro NFT System

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Pete U, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Pete U

Pete U New Member

USA
    State:
    Florida
    City:
    Hollywood
    Greetings,

While I am a practical newcomer with respect to the aquaponics, I have hours of seat time in research on the subject.

I have been looking at the practicality of using worms alone in an NFT system.

Can anyone enlighten me on the positives and negatives?

Can a worm bin alone produce enough nutrients to support vigorous plant production?

I have considered using a worm bin in a conventional aquaponics set up as a biofilter, capitalizing on the good wormy stuff they produce. Would the fish solids be enough to keep a good colony of worms going?

I'm trying to come up with a portable, 150 gallon NFT system and any input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Pete U

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Pete,
    Yes vermiponics is viable. No worries.
    The only problem is no fish dinners coming out of the system, but that is OK, whatever resonates with you and fits your circumstances is what you should do.

3. andyholloway

andyholloway Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Nunderi
    Pete,
    Welcome to the forum.
    What you describe here is very similar to having a growbed with worms in it. This is very common practice and works very well indeed. The worms feed on the fish solids aswell as any dead plant roots.

4. SergeiB

SergeiB New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Sydney
    Thanks for your answer Murray,
    Sorry to revive a slightly old thread but do you know of anyone doing vermiponics on a commercial scale?
    I saw this video on Gardening Australia about flower growers and it got me really interested.

I know that the example isn't exactly "vermiponic" (as the flowers are growing in soil) but it made me wonder why you don't see or hear much about vermiponics?