1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Are catfish a good eating fish?

Discussion in 'What Fish is that ?' started by _Highlander_, Oct 18, 2011.

1. _Highlander_

_Highlander_ New Member

Hello everyone!

We are considering catfish for our Fish Tank.

My fiance eats fish but I have only started in the last year. I blame my parents for force feeding me horrible fish fingers when I was young...haha

My question is, are catfish good eating fish? Most people I have spoken to say they are not, taste muddy as they are bottom feeders etc... but we would like to keep them as they seem breed well in captivity and I would imagine a clean water aquaponics system might give them a cleaner taste?

Any thoughts on this or on catfish in aquaponics in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading :)

2. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

Don't go the forktailed catfish they have a very pungent flavour that will put you off dinner. The "tandanus" eel tailed catfish are a completely different story though, soft sweet flakey white flesh.

3. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Tandanus are the most under-rated and unknown table fish in Australia IMO... fabulous fish...

4. _Highlander_

_Highlander_ New Member

Thanks for the reply MattySEQ and RupertofOZ!

Tandanus sounds like the way to go then, for a fish eating beginner like myself soft sweet flakey flesh sounds good and I will definatley stay away from their fork tailed pungent cousin you mentioned.

It will be a while before the system is ready to accept them, but any idea where to get them from? Are they a common in Aquaponics?

5. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

Google seqfish they will have some in a few months

6. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Got some and they are growing ok, but no taste test yet :)

7. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

you'll love em mantis, I've only caught a few out of the top of thr brissie river and I would taste wise I would take them over even barra

8. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Any idea on how long they take to get to edible size ?? I got mine back in Janurary and they were about 70mm then. They would be over 100 now but not sure

9. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

Not sure but I think they take a couple of years to grow out which is the only downside :)