1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Are AP farmers a special breed?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by See Will, Jul 18, 2016.

1. See Will

See Will New Member

Thailand
    State:
    Chonburi
    City:
    Chonburi
    Hi all,

without stepping toes...

I have been posting in four worldwide (US-AU-UK and GER) forums about my test farm and my commercial plans and was expecting a lot of sharing my experiences, critics, informations and support.

It looks like AP farmers are more likely to keep their knowledge by themselves and are not really interested it do what a forum is ablout.

In all 4 forums there wasn't more coming as 'welcome here' and then it was silence..

I guess we have here a cpl of 100's of all kind of professionals that, if proper bundled could make an AP farm out of an ocean, but where is all this knowledge?

Where are all the points discussed and raised hands that scream OMG!!! don't do that this way, make it more easy or here is going something wrong and then coming up with a proper solution.
    Nothing, just 'hello is all that came'

Cheers

Will

2. Owen J

Owen J New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    No one here in Australia builds aquaponics the size you are on about, at least not in a way where it becomes economicaly viable.

People do large scale farming and large scale aquaculture. What your talking about is marrying them together at a size none of us has really had fathomed before. Most here in Australia dont have systems that take up more area than a car parking space.

So you'll have to excuse us when we don't feel comfortable on commenting on something we would never even consider doing ourselves.

3. See Will

See Will New Member

Thailand
    State:
    Chonburi
    City:
    Chonburi
    Thanks for reply,

but sure here as also in the other forums is a quite huge rate of professions as mechanics, plumbers and gardeners and I reckon the size is not the issue.
    Big or small, if there is somebody going on a wooden path a small hint out of the toolbox cold save a fortune for him. And if we all add together there might be people worldwide considering to go the same way.

I have done my time as offshore manager so for me personally it doesn't matter. The only thig i want to archieve is to get the sons and daughters of the rice farmers family, where grandma/pa and father/mother in law have worn out bones from the hard labour in the fields and could cover just the living going modern, and then better a step ahead as the common market.
    They all have been after first doubts very enthusiastic in the test farm of 120sqm and now they are so full of dreams for a better future of their children.
    I will do what I have learned and give my share, they don't speak english neither they know how to ask in a forum. As more info i can gather for them as more they are safe to continue.
    But also I have my issues, especially when it comes to plumbings.. so where is the plumber facing the challenge and where is the small grower that has his alarms goin off if he sees my drawings.
    That's what a forum is for, isn't it?

Cheers

Will

4. stevegoldy

stevegoldy New Member

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Berri
    I live in the Riverland sa and had the pleasure of working with some good commercial growers, not one would ever consider telling their potential competitors any of their secrets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi See Will,
    I am always happy to help anyone that asks , as are many others . I imagine any reluctance by people to do so , "expert"or not is driven more by a fear of giving bad or more likely misinformed advice than simply not wanting to share their knowledge. The biggest issue being , anyone offering advice needs to be a aware of all the variables effecting a system and exactly how the system works. The more information supplied by the person asking the questions the more consice the responses offered can be. Another factor is people being fearful of being proven wrong and made to look foolish by others. Most advice readily given will relate only to the fundamentals of aquaponics and not specific variables that might effect any one specific system. People will always protect their creditabilty first in these instances and address the enquirers needs second . Some folks trawl forums for info , others are involved to try and share their knowledge in order to grow the discipline .
    Don't be offended by some peoples reluctance to share . It's just human nature mate.
    Always happy to help where I can.
    Cheers.

6. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    As Will Says, the reluctance is in the variables. take My trade for instance. I'm a telecommunications Tech by trade, but due to the sheer volume of variables in an IT infrastructure that could all be contributing to an issue, until I have seen the system first hand, i am very reluctant to give anyone troubleshooting help, lest i make an issue worse by something that Wasn't told to me in the first place. Also as a pilot, I can give you the full run down inside and out of how to fly my plane, do all the maintenance etc without me actually looking at it, but i would not dare do that for a plane I had not yet seen