1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponics related degree

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by Riad, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Riad

Riad New Member

Malaysia
    State:
    Selangor
    City:
    Setia Alam
    Hello everyone

I am planning on taking a degree so that it is easier for me to move abroad.
    Since I have always been interested in aquaponics, I thought why not do a degree related to aquaponics. Now, I have been searching for a while but I have failed to find any university offering such degrees. I would be really grateful if I got some ideas about which discipline of study should I study.

Cheers

2. Sara Cole

Sara Cole New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Zilzie
    I dont know that it is taught at a degree level, Murray what do you think? I know when I was talking to JCU the other day and telling them that I was doing this course they said its time they got a course planned!

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Who is JCU?

4. Sara Cole

Sara Cole New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Zilzie
    James Cook Uni !
    there is Hawaii isnt there Murray they do a course and your example of the Virgin Islands

5. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    As far as I know, they offer courses that are named differently to how we (Australia) know them but they are about equivalent to our Cert III TAFE courses, at best.

6. Psinet

Psinet Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Gruyere
    Hi all,
    Uni.jpg

Melbourne Polytechnic offers a degree course in conjunction with La Trobe University that is very applicable to aquaponics. It is offered out of their Epping campus. This is where all the aquaculture facilities are.

The title is Bachelor of Agricultural Science - Aquaculture. It is a 3-year full-time/6-year part-time degree (only some part-time is allowed), covering all aspects of the science and economics of aquaculture - of all types of organisms. They accept applications from Yr 12 students and mature-age students alike. The courses are also available to international students, Riad.

Aquaponics is* (*update: was) a subject of the course unto itself. There are post-grad and Ph.D programs available. There are people doing their PhD in our lab right now. I am currently providing the university with rotifers for various uses (Brachionus sp.), out of my aquaponics system!

After coming into aquaponics many moons ago (sometime after Murray) I eventually decided to take it to the next level, in an effort to better improve my prospects - but more importantly to impove my own scientific understanding.

I am just now completing exams and handing in essays to finish my 2nd year at Melbourne Polytechnic. I cannot recommend it highly enough. You are never too old to return to university!

I know of no other place in Australia with the raw facilities and knowledge-base, regards aquaculture. Period.

Lecturers like Dr. Sadiq Awal and Andrew Christie - amongst others - just could not be replicated.

Only one more year to go, Murray ;)

Yours Sincerely,

Adam Tait

Edit: It looks like Aquaponics subject was removed from the course this year? Not enough Professors? Maybe I can get that changed.

Applicable subjects available and a link to the course itself:

Plant Physiology, Applied Genomics and Plant Breeding, Pestilence and Plague: Integrated Pest Management, Biology of Fish, Algology and Zooplankton, Reproduction and Genetics of Aquatic Animals, Aquatic Animal Nutrition, Applied Finfish Aquaculture, Aquacultural Engineering, Applied Mollusc and Crustacean Aquaculture, Microbiology and Aquatic Animal Diseases.

https://www.melbournepolytechnic.edu.au/courses/bachelor-of-agriculture-and-technology-9

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  7. Psinet

Psinet Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Gruyere
    On a side note if I do go on to do a post-grad program, it will almost certainly be about breeding native fish in recirculating aquaponic systems!

8. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Pity, it can't be part-time. I would do that for sure. I would love to.

9. Kevin John Mitchell

Kevin John Mitchell New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Coleambally
    Hello everyone, Asian Institute of Technology in Bangkok, Thai Land, is one I had my eye on. I investigated this option as I could not find a course in Australia I was really happy with, many focus on oceanic aquaculture. Thailand is one of those countries that have a history of integrated aquaculture within rice fields, which was a topic I investigated for my bachelors degree in business.

When I spoke to the dean of the school about the course and my interest, he informed me that the aspect of integration was seeing less interest, as the prospect of aquaculture by itself was on the rise, being able to provide more substantial income then integrating crops as before.

Courses are taught in English, and I was informed a person should have around AU$20 k for a years study. This includes tuition fees, accommodation, food, personal expenses and travel. Which I think is very good value for money.

However, because I never had 20k, I enrolled in Murray's course as a primer, and will work towards the latter.