1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponics in Tassie.

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by TASSIE BOB, Nov 8, 2010.

1. TASSIE BOB

TASSIE BOB New Member

G'day all.
    I'd just like to say that I envy you folk on the big island. For anyone thats interested, Inland Fisheries keep a pretty tight rein on anything to do with freshwater fish over here.
    The only fish permitted in a/p is trout -apart from goldfish, which I believe will be banned sometime in the future.
    A permit is required which lasts for three years at $137.00. This allows 6 purchases over that time, quantity doesn't matter.
    Fingerlings from I/F cost $2.50 each. Private hatchery $2.00 each.
    Fingerlings must be triploids (sterile).
    Fish have to be delivered at mileage cost. New law in 2004.
    Makes you have second thoughts, but I'm sure the rewards will be worth it!!!
    Best regards,
    Bob.

2. rmcpb

rmcpb New Member

I often get a laugh about how we protect a group of feral species in Oz. Trout are not native and get FAR better treatment than any of our native fish. Funny what a few people spending money to chase a fish does to its value to the government.......

Ringer likes this.
  3. Tdsal2

Tdsal2 New Member

Hi Bob
    I'm going through the same thing at the moment. If I get my fish from the fishery up north of the state, it will be an extra $1 per kilometre round trip. From Launceston to Port Huon, thats at least $500 I should think.. if not more..

So Im hoping to get fish through New Nofolk hatchery - it's 75$ an hour transport, so hopefully no more than $150. Really is frustrating.. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else, but do wish we had a few other options.
    Cheers
    Todd
    p.s where's your system located Bob?

4. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

I don't get it? What is this extra $1 per kilometre nonsense?

5. TASSIE BOB

TASSIE BOB New Member

Trout in a/p Tassie.

Hi all,
    I,ll try to answer the replies to my posting yesterday re: trout in tassie in one hit.
    The $1.00 per/k is for delivery from hatchery to purchaser. In other words we cannot collect them ourselves for fear they may escape into our waterways on the way home !!!!! What a joke,there wouldn't be a stream in Tassie without trout in it. Apparently this rule has been in place since 2004.
    To Rob, I have only just started my system, 1000 litre fish tank,fishless cycling at the moment, (apart from 4 small goldfish to test the water)
    Probably won't get fish until after christmas holidays.
    Location - Kings Meadows, Launceston.
    Like another member said, how can the government take an introduced feral fish from another country and tell you what can and can't do with them and charge you a fee in the bargain.
    You dare not commit a fisheries offence here, you get less for murder, probably the the same elsewhere.
    Best regards,
    Bob.

6. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

The Tasmanian authorities actively promote a trout catch and release scheme for recreational fishermen. As well as publishing figures on how many trout they are releasing into the various streams. Sounds to me like they've lumped you in with landholders stocking large farm dams. Here's the application form I think you are referring to.

You may need to form an Tasmania Aquaponics Association and lobby the Tas government to amend the law to allow private individuals to raise small numbers of trout for domestic consumption without paying a tax or road mileage penalty.

7. bill newton

bill newton Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Wamuran
    :(

sir humphrey smirked superciliouslyand said "YES MINISTER!!!"

8. Froglips

Froglips New Member

Tassy Bob you are not alone, we have just set up our system and after months of IFS banter I have my permit and am working in with the local Anglers Club so I don't have to pay the shocking transport costs, I am just going to give them a donation and get my fish with theirs. I have been fishless cycling for over 2 mths now and I have a limit on how many I can have at the property at any time, my quota is for 50 with 6 deliveries over 3 years. Bullshiser isnt it? I am convinced it will be all worth it in the end.
    Cheers Carol

9. TASSIE BOB

TASSIE BOB New Member

Hi Carol,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I must have misunderstood the quota of fish allowed under the permit when I was talking to the gentleman on the phone.
    Anyway if it's only 50 at a time, that will have to do. I havn't applied for my permit as yet, but like you am only fishless cycling at the moment, about a month into it. Plants seem a bit slow at the moment, but they look like they have improved in the last couple of days. I am wondering if they are getting enough sunlight as the g/b is under a carport, although it is situated on the eastern side and the roof is 3 meters high. Fishless cycling will have to continue until after christmas as I will be away for a few days and won't be able to water test etc. at the critical time while it is becoming established.
    What sort of growth are your plants producing? I would be interested to know how long they have been in , what they are and how big ?
    Cheers for now,
    Bob.

10. kiwiintas

kiwiintas New Member

Hi To all in Tasmania, I am new to the forums and the world of Aquaponics and you have answerered a lot of my questions with this lil thread here i am Based in the North of Tasmania in Burnie. Is there a Aquaponics assn here in Tasmania??

11. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson New Member

Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    City:
    Somerset
    Hello Fellow Tasmanians,

As some time has passed since this thread was active, I am looking for current info on aquaponics in relation to Inland Fisheries Tasmania.

Has anyone successfully got permission from inland fisheries for an aquaponics setup with anything other than an exemptions permit?

If so, is it possible to get permission for anything other than triploid rainbow trout?

Chris

12. Sylvia5

Sylvia5 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    City:
    Hobart

I'd like to know this too.
    Sylvia