1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponics for Fodder

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by EdGreg, Jul 31, 2015.

1. EdGreg

EdGreg New Member

Armenia
    State:
    Armenia
    City:
    Yerevan
    Dear friends... I need little bit of guidance, I am new to aquaponics systems and we are attempting to grow Barley sprouts as fodder (animal feed) and I would like to know what is the best (as well as cost effective) material that can be used for the trays?
    Thank you!

Ed

2. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    More information can help, and pictures, volumes of your system etc. When I did the initial cycle of my systems I did floating trays of wheat grass. They sprout and grow very quickly. I wonder though if it is a sustainable vegetable growth for Aquaponics. It is short turnover growth. Thinking of an AP system as a balanced eco system you need some longer term plants as well.
    $0.02

3. Ronnburgendy

Ronnburgendy New Member

England
    State:
    Hampshire
    City:
    Eastleigh
    I watched a really interesting programme about the use of barley sprouts as fodder.

They took 7 days from start to feed, I think they grew in the dark and the layer of seeds was about 2.5cm thick so that the resulting sprouts could be lifted like carpet and fed like that. I think it was on country file(tv).

I would think that you could get away with

http://www.mellowyellowhydro.co.uk/...sories-plant-pots-buckets-trays-garland-trays

I hope that helps mate.

Cheers
    Ron

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. Ronnburgendy

Ronnburgendy New Member

England
    State:
    Hampshire
    City:
    Eastleigh
    oh and they will give you a 15% off code if you call up.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk