1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponics Design

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Anish, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Anish

Anish New Member

qatar
    State:
    Doha
    City:
    Doha
    hello all,

I have a design that i had to come up for my uncle and since i am nearing the completion of March 2018 ADC, he asked me to help him complete the project.

At the moment all he has is a 16,500-liter concrete tank. It has been cured as well. The tank has 12,800-liter of water filled. My idea are as follows,
    1. A 3000-liter Swirl filter
    2. 20 liter K1 Media
    3. Four grow-beds
    4. 1000-Liter sump Tank
    5. 350-liter Header tank
    6. 350-liter mineralization tank
    7. Two submersible pumps
    8. One 80 lpm Air pump
    9. 4 airstones, of which 2 goes in the Fish Tank, One in the Biofilter and one in Mineralization tank
    10. two venturi, once on the pump to the Header and the other on the Backup pump
    From what i had learned in ADC i understand that one Fish tank of that size would be bad idea but i had to deal with it. The pipe from the Fish tank to the Swirl filter would be a 2inch which would give a flow rate 8400 lph. The pipes from the header to the grow-beds would 1 and half inch PVC.

The tank would hold Tilapia.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I don't know what volume your four grow beds are, but that is a large water volume. If the ratio of water to GB's and bio-filtration, and therefore fish stocking capacity, is too high, then the system will be out of balance and not produce well in regards to plant growth.

3. Anish

Anish New Member

qatar
    State:
    Doha
    City:
    Doha
    Hey Yabbies,

I've got 2 IBC tanks cut into two which are the grow beds. The width is 5ft and length 7ft water filled is 9inch. The water in the tank would be about 200-300 liters. I have 20kg K1 media from aliexpress inside a 350 liter tank. I was thinking of getting a Haeilia HAP120 as a pond aerator and use PVC pipes to distribute and use brass nipples to connect to the air stones.

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Your sump tank may be far too small. Did you calculate your freeboard water? How much will flow back to the sump if the water pump stops?

5. Anish

Anish New Member

qatar
    State:
    Doha
    City:
    Doha
    Yes that was something i could not change due to the lack of space. I will have to add a 1500 tank later. But other than this are the others correct.By the way Murray, i attended the March 2018 ADC.