1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

A hurricane / typhoon proof greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by turboturbo, Jul 7, 2013.

1. turboturbo

turboturbo New Member

Hey guys

I am planning to build an experimental greenhouse (eventually commercial, but would like to test the built quality first) in Hong Kong, where Typhoons occur quite often during the Summer. The gusts speed can go up to 200-250Km/hr (125miles per hour) (rare, but it happens from time to time). My farm is located fairly close to the seaside, so, wind load is a very serious concern. Do you guys know any suppliers that can provide hurricane/typhoon proof greenhouse?

It seems most of them do not list out the specifications, and the ones I have found so far could only withstand up to 140km/hr (87miles/hr)

Thanks!

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I seriously doubt you will find such a structure. If one were to be designed it would need to be made from very expensive material such as polycarbonate for the transparent sheeting and some sort of steel framing.

3. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

I saw one in Houston TX a few years ago. it was made out of Ceder wood & Polly. it has hurricane straps on EVERY wood piece that crossed. It worked it was up after hurricane Katrina. Murray is right was expensive.

4. Trevwbird

Trevwbird Member

I've been lucky, I bought a lot of steel at auctions for next to nothing.
    in real terms I have an extremely heavy duty greenhouse. So I used metal roofing battens a cross the steal beams. So I went the polly roof sheeting.
    My big extension system greenhouse will be the same. I will be welding the both together as on structure.

sorry people I am a metal worker through and through, so it's easy for me. It would take a big cyclone to move this one.
    auctions are good to keep an eye out.

5. Trevwbird

Trevwbird Member

Tracy Holz I would prefer to spend money and time once, than rebuild and spend time and money after every big storm.
    i hate doing things twice, I am lazy that way. Love work once but hate it twice.

6. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Trevwbird I am with your as my belief is "You only buy a nice tool once"

7. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    A geodesic dome is the best structure and the most likely to survive a hurricane due to the shape and massive strength ...once again due to the shape and construction.

8. travelbilly

travelbilly Member

The greenhouse I am building is made of hurricane panels that are usually sold in Miami/Dade County in Florida. They are pretty pricey, I thing 40-50 usd. I got them at an auction so I got an amazing deal, but, expensive if you pay retail. They're supper sturdy, very nice.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Member

There is something about Geodesic Domes!

The main problem has always been making precise, repeatable cut angles or getting a decent hub. Hubs have always been pretty expensive. I have backed a kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/942255452/hubs-geodesic-domes-made-simple/description that is looking at making cheap(ish) hubs. No idea if they can pull it off but I am looking forward to getting my hands on one of the beta test kits. Hoping to be able to use bamboo poles in the construction.