1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

20000sqm Aquaponic start from scratch in Thailand, phase 1.

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by See Will, Jul 12, 2016.

1. See Will

See Will New Member

Thailand
    State:
    Rayong
    City:
    Tapong
    Hi all,

I was reading through many forums but this one seems the most informative and active one.

As written in my introduction I am an offshore worker and have background in family hydroponics from Holland and Germany.
    This is Thailand and so it will be different. I had a backyard test farm of 120sqm that fed after 2 years a small village near Khon Kaen in Thailand but it got completely scrapped by our Buffalo 2 month ago.
    Sure it was good for learning but also sure it was not big enough to gather all knowledge to go commerial.
    So first of all i would love to Introduce here our plan and facilities in steps:

The family (Thai rural Farmers in Rice, Sugar and Rubber) is highly motivated build on the sucess with the test system. We have a reliable labour force of about 15 Family members in a spread from Farmer to Lawyer.

here the land provided by the Uncle:
    Capture1.JPG
    Any Comments positive and negative also hard critcis are highly appreciated as the are the ladder to sucess:
    Phase 1 will be a test sytem of 1800 sqm greenhouse:

and some scratches made to heat up the discussions:

1-1 Filtertower with main top tank.png
    Pipeflow System.png

Each growbed will have 120cm x 1400cm x 40cm height = 5040 liter. Foget the pipes as all bed will be getting independent supply of water from the main tank.
    BUT, piping is an issue for me, all tanks shall be supplied equally and the plumbing is a closed book for me.
    We have no plumber in our family and also i am pretty bad in this direction. How to connect growbeds, sumps and fishtanks efficient is here the question.

Pipe system.png
    And as above mentioned I have made a scratch about the plumbing. I am quite good in all kind of engineering but if it comes to plumbing, well I believe, the fish gets all chances to die when I put hands on plumbers jobs and calculations.
    Here will be really help needed and highly appreciated.
    1st plumbing ideas.png

Thank you all for any reply that helps me and my Family to get to sucess.

Willy

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Will,
    A really interesting project to say the least. Yes, plumbing gets a lot of people so you are not on your own there.
    There are a lot of good elements in your design but some that will need some work.
    It is great that you have land and a good reliable water and power supply. Are the buildings there already. I can't see any in the satellite photo?

Places to start.
    Go to www.murrayhallam.com for some free videos on the subject that will be helpful.

3. See Will

See Will New Member

Thailand
    State:
    Rayong
    City:
    Tapong
    Hi Murray,

it is almost virgin land, an old house and a small wooden house on stilts. First we want to have a full concept before we start anything and as you say there are still some elements that need another thought.
    Especially the plumbing is more or less created by common sense. There are not much plumbers out there who have ever done more than basic house plumbings. Many pictures in the www. showing Thai electrics on Road Poles where only the creator of this "nests" can find anything but mostly he just adds a new coil and cable to it in case something is broken down. And so is the plumbing regarding quality as well.

4. Mike West

Mike West New Member

Philippines
    State:
    Tarlac
    City:
    Tarlac City
    Hi Will
    I have a small setup here in the philippines ,i looked at your plans and would love to do similar. I wish you every success to you and your family I an a retired offshore worker also and looking at your design have you considered the electricity costs moving such large volumes of water to fairly large heights ? pumps will only work at 30 % at 3 metre height.For example my system has 2 pumps to raise water to 3.5 meters to the radial filter plus the ais pumps which all take about 250 watts an hour total which is 6 kw a day and 180 kw a month, your system is so much larger with greater volumes of water i only have 4 ICB grow beds ,16 dutch buckets and 30 nft pots pretty small in comparison to your system .please consider these costs in your design and possibly look at a a more flat system . Just a thought best of luck
    Mike West

JaydenTan likes this.
  5. See Will

See Will New Member

Thailand
    State:
    Rayong
    City:
    Tapong
    Hi Mike,
    I will go as much possible for solar power. I am still at the begin of my plans and still I am not there.
    I understand, it must be worth to turn the saved space of less walking ways between the beds into profit, also the tanks under the grow beds is more space for plants in the Greenhouse and an expensive Greenhouse must make a high profit or better to keep the fingers complete off.
    Cooling is another issue to increase the range of plants that I can grow, for more varieties to stand off the common market.
    Most infos are coming from my relatives who do a successful bizz in Europe.
    I opened threads in many forums and it might be in about 2 years a complete different outcome as I am going now.

Our countries (Thailand and Phillippines as well) are very much woking on traditions, "we have done it before and so we stay" The money or the mind to go modern is still not much present.

But the consumer's behaviour is going more open for a new and greater variety of food and bio, so I'll try my best to optimise wherever I can and then convert these ideas into possible profit calculations.
    Example: A single Advocado was 5-8 years ago 5 EUR a go and nobody was eating it, now it's 3 for 3 EUR and you find them already in Farmer's markets and every BigC/Tesco Veggie shelf.
    Swedes, in Europe to buy for 2 EUR a 1.5 Kg piece is in Thailand around 8 EUR as small as 250 gr.

Sure is that the water tower is already a bit of a thorn in my eye and I am looking for better solutions. For each rack a small pump might really be the better way as they will never use so much power as just one big pump.
    The tower worked for my 120sqm test field but for the next step it seem to fail.
    This is why I connect myself to forums, If guys like you put also a foundation under my doubts, it is sure a confirmation that there is a wrong way choosen.
    A good question would be now how to get rid of the tower under the filter system and how it will be even working better without it?
    As I stated: I am good in renewables, I have good farmers background with my family behind me, i have excellent marketing cracks in my family and after I supported them with the university costs they turned into diamonds.
    But plumbers I have not and I am the lousiest of all. This area, we are still not good enough.
    Every suggestion is welcome, a small fault can create a total desaster.
    Thanks for you mind and when we reach the target I hope that some here in these forums will be my guest at the opening BBQ by beer and yabbies ;-) or at least could use the experiences put together in this thread and follow up the modern way of commercial growing.

best Regards

Will

6. Calum Greig

Calum Greig New Member

Thailand
    State:
    Kussoman
    City:
    Sakon Nakhon

Hi Mike, Calum here from the Allied Achiver last year. I just came across you in this forum. I have finally started to build my little starter system. It has just over 1800 liters of fish tanks and 17 vertical towers for lettuce, herbs etc. Give me a shout sometime mate calumgreig@gmail.com or Calum.greig@facebook.com. Cheers for now...

7. Aquaponeer

Aquaponeer Member

For those in Thailand, I have a 2.4kW Wind and Solar renewable energy system I used for an Aquaponics Research Center here in Bangkok up for sale. Highest quality components custom designed by a leading German Renewable Energy Systems Provider here in Bangkok. Please message me directly for details and or other interest. The craigslist link is http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/ele/5921387909.html

My email : markhind@gocerts.com

8. Agnes Harmers

Agnes Harmers New Member

The Netherlands
    State:
    Groningen
    City:
    Groningen
    Good evening Willy!
    I am from the Neherlands!
    Love to see your design.

It is good you already did a smaller system to get experience with aquaponics. You asked for what we think of the design. You must have a good reason to put up the filters on second floor of the building. I cannot think of one. As I learned you will keep the system always as simple as possible. You will need a reason to make it more complex.